What is the ‘Best of Auckland’ collection?
Our aim is to promote Auckland writing and Auckland writers. ‘Best of Auckland’ will be a showcase of Auckland writing. The compilation will be published in physical and digital form.
‘Best of Auckland’ shortlist
The following stories, poems and excerpts (in alphabetical order) have been shortlisted for the ‘Best of Auckland’ collection. We will be making a selection for publication over the coming days. Successful entries will be contacted by phone.
A Little Acid for the Beach
At Last, Goodbye
Botticelli Painted Venus Naked, Surfing on a Scallop Shell
Car Park for Rent
Going, Going, Gone
Grief on the Tundra
I Believe That Morris Expects Me to Clean the Kitchen Tonight
In the Distance is the Sea
It Began the Day They Locked Everyone In
Maia Strikes Back
New York Hustle
Notes from the Invisible City
One More Time
Run Santa Run
Singularity of Sleep
Sophie Not To Be
Spray Drifting to Infinity
The Artists’ Colony
The Cops and a Razor
The Right Thing To Do
Through the Red Woods
Submissions closed midnight 31 December 2019.
- All submissions accepted for publication will be paid $60. We take no publishing rights, you are free to republish your work as you wish.
- The work can be published or unpublished, but needs to be written and/or published in 2019 (or accepted for publication in 2019 but with publication in 2020). Check the re-publishing rights of any published work before submitting it to us (many NZ journals, for example, retain right of first publishing only)
- The work can be up to a maximum of 5000 words (if you have something longer than this, we accept chapter/scene excerpts)
- You must live in Auckland, or tell us why you consider yourself to be an Auckland writer
- You can submit up to two pieces of writing
- The pieces can include prose, poetry and creative non-fiction
- See the full terms & conditions here