Submissions are open for the “Best of Auckland Writing 2019” compilation
We love Auckland writers. We are putting together a compilation of the best writing to come out of Auckland in 2019. If you’re writing something great in 2019, let us know.
Our aim is to promote Auckland writing and Auckland writers. “Best of Auckland Writing 2019” will be a showcase of Auckland writing, and we want you to be a part of it. All submissions accepted for publication will be paid $60. We take no publishing rights, you are free to republish your work as you wish. The compilation will be published in physical and digital form.
What is ‘the best’?
We’re looking for work that moves us, educates us or changes us. Work that is unique, insightful, or entertaining will win out over run-of-the-mill.
What are the requirements?
- The work can be published or unpublished, but needs to be written and/or published in 2019 (or accepted for publication in 2019 but with publication in 2020). Check the re-publishing rights of any published work before submitting it to us (many NZ journals, for example, retain right of first publishing only)
- The work can be up to a maximum of 5000 words (if you have something longer than this, we accept chapter/scene excerpts).
- You must live in Auckland, or tell us why you consider yourself to be an Auckland writer
- You can submit up to two pieces of writing
- The pieces can include prose, poetry and creative non-fiction
- See the full terms & conditions here
Submit your work in MS Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org along with:
- Your name
- Your phone number (successful entries will be contacted by phone)
- Your address/why you consider yourself to be an Auckland writer (if not resident in Auckland)
- Details of the published status of your work
If you are submitting two pieces, you may submit them together or separately.
Submissions close midnight 31 December 2019, but we encourage you to get in early.